Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Researching TV mounts and Locker Styles

Next task was planning some of the built-in features of the house.  The two biggest projects would be the lockers in the mud room/laundry room and the wall unit in the great room.
This is where websites like Houzz are a great resource for ideas and finding specific features you want.

There were certain things I wanted.  First was the color.  I wanted them white to match the trim.  Ideally I wanted 5 lockers total (one for each child and one grown up locker). 

I also wanted them equipped with outlets.  I'm a big advocate for not allowing devices in bedrooms, especially after a certain hour.  So a charging station in each one would make this an easy place where they could plug in and know where there devices are and make sure they are not in their rooms at night.  


While I liked the clean look of both of these style lockers, I was hesitant about doors.  For one I knew they would get a lot of use and that's a lot of banging around.  Secondly, I did not want my kids to think they could cram anything they wanted into their locker as long as they could get the door shut.










I liked the look of the grey but I wanted a shoe cubby for each locker that was more of a drawer.

I also wanted the ledge to be deep enough to sit on.  Just taking little pieces from many different pictures helped me design the look I wanted.  















For the built-ins which would include a place for a TV above the fireplace.  I am not a huge fan of television, mainly because it prevents those in my house from getting done what needs to get done.  So I wanted to be able to put it out of sight.  I also did not want a beautiful stone fireplace with an eyesore of a television smack in the middle.  Finding a way around this proved to be challenging but here were some of the places from which I drew inspiration.

I love the barn door look, but the X's were a little busy for my taste.



I really liked the ability to slide them out.  This would provide maximum visibility.  I loved the track look but with our set up, it probably won't work for us.  But these are the ideas I took to the builder to create the final look.  


Stay tuned to see what the final look will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment